Radon Gas

Radon is a It is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally and is colourless, odorless, and tasteless. . The gas is particularly concentrated in parts of the country which have a granite rock formation. Homeowners in the South-West and Derbyshire, for example, are well versed in the risks posed by radon and the measures needed to control it.

 

Radon can be harmful if it is allowed to become concentrated within a bulding it can cause damage to tissues increasing risk of cancer, particularly lung cancer.

 

The good news is that, although it is invisible, the presence and concentration of radon can be tested and there are remedial works that will reduce the risk it poses dramatically. These works will often involve the use of a ‘sump’ which will pump air from under the floor out to roof height externally where it is dispesed safely. Improvements to ventilation are also commonly recommended, sometimes using a fan to blow clean air into the building from the roof space.

 

Some of the best advice re Radon is available online on the Public Health England Radon site as below –

http://www.ukradon.org/information